Friday, July 17, 2009

Death

Death: one of two things that is certain in life.

We used to say so and so have died. Often times, we say so and so have passed away. Now, it seems it is only appropriate to say so and so have passed on.

The deaths we usually encountered are frequently of those elder than us. As we grow older, more of our peers passed on. But I have three friends who passed on when they were only in their 20s.

I tried to avoid going to wakes or funerals. I didn’t attend any of my three friends; two of which I couldn’t even if I had wanted to. Nothing superstitious; just don’t know what to say or how to “behave” at these usually sad occasions. Not many wakes or funerals are about “celebrating the deceased’s life” and not “mourning the deceased’s passing”.

Am I afraid of my own death? One no and two yesses. No, as I am not worried about whether I will be enjoying ice-cream and chocolate in heaven or be burned in hell. Yes, if I am going to be in great pain and suffering prior to my death. Yes, if I were to die before my mum does. I don’t need to live to a very old age. I just need to live just one day longer than my mum so that I can take care of her till her very last day and she does not need to “experience” my passing on.

Cremated or buried? Why bother to get people to dig labouriously, boxed my dead body up, slowly rot inside and underneath and be food for maggots? Scatter my ashes? That’s pollution. Besides who is willing to bring my ashes to the Tibetan mountains?

No comments:

Post a Comment