Sunday, June 7, 2009

Prestat Fine Chocolates

Prestat was officially established in London in 1902. Its chocolates are the favourite of Royal Family, in particular The Queen Mother, HM Queen Elizabeth.

I have tried both the Prunes and Apricots in (60%) Dark Chocolate. Both are priced at $29 per box of 150 gm. The tastes of prunes and apricots overpowered that of the expected thin coat of chocolate. It would have been cheaper and more chocolaty had I bought the fruits and dark chocolate separately and eat them together. I don’t blame them. Fruit-dips are usually disappointing to me. I suppose when I eat chocolates, I expect chocolates to play the predominant role. However I enjoyed the dark chocolate coated orange peel sold by CanelĂ© during the Chinese New Year period.

I find Prestat truffles and dark chocolate ranges nothing to scream about. Perhaps I am not used to “English” chocolates. Given its high price, $58 for 200 gm of truffles, it is over-rated. Worst when you are paying a premium when the prices in UK are so much cheaper. Yes, prices will be higher as compared to the place of origin because of airfreight and so on. But the price differentiate of Prestat chocolates is particularly higher compared to other brands. I do notice that for most non-local chocolates in Singapore, prices are generally more expensive here compared to Hong Kong and Taiwan.


There are definitely better, and even cheaper, alternatives available. But if you have not tried Prestat chocolates before, now is a good time to try. Currently there is a promotion where you pay $68 (instead of the usual $116, that’s more than 40% discount) for a box each of their Milk Marc and Pink Marc De Champagne Truffles. There are also good discounts for some of their other ranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment