Thursday, June 4, 2009

Lengthen Incoming Call Ringing Time

Yesterday, I went to Starhub Service Centre at Plaza Singapura to have my incoming call ringing time lengthened from the network default of 30 seconds. Was told it cannot be done. When I insisted that it could be done and it was only whether they wanted to do it that the guy came back with his supervisor with a piece of paper with the instruction code to do so. But it was still only 30 seconds.

Before I attempted to key in the code, I asked the supervisor whether doing so would corrupt my SIM Card and she assured me that it wouldn’t. But after I tried, my SIM Card was corrupted. But I didn’t realise this until I reached home when my phone kept indicating “insert sim card.”

So I had to go to their Service Centre again but this time I went to the one at Tampines Mall as it was nearer and told the service guy what happened. He and his supervisor(s) were also not aware that the ringing time could be lengthened and were surprised that instruction codes were available. Anyway my SIM Card was replaced but all the data was corrupted and could not be retrieved.

I had backup my SIM Card onto my computer hard drive which unfortunately crashed three weeks ago which meant I didn’t have a backup! I will have to ask some of my contacts to give me their contacts and have to key them in again.

As calling Starhub would be a frustrating thing to do, I decided to write in and let them sort out amongst themselves before coming back to me. But to get their email address I had to call the hotline as the email address wasn’t reflected on their website. The guy who picked up the call, Tino, who was situated in the Philippines, told me the email address was customerservice@starhub.com.sg. When I asked about the sg part, he replied that “since Starhub is in Singapore, there should be sg”. Of course he was wrong!

I had written them an email detailing the sequence of events and would wait for their response. Even within a small HDB flat, 30 seconds might not be sufficient for one to get to the phone in time if one is in another section of the flat. Why must Starhub insist on just 30 seconds? Customers should be allowed to decide how long they want their phone to ring before been diverted or stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment