Sunday, August 9, 2009

Awfully Chocolate

Awfully Chocolate does not sell chocolates. I guess most people know that by now since they have been around since 1988. They sell three types of chocolate cakes (All Chocolate, Chocolate Banana and Chocolate Rum & Cherry), which most people know, and they sell chocolate ice cream, which some people don’t know.

Back then their first shop at Joo Chiat, which had since closed, made headlines with their all white minimalist décor with just a counter. You will be forgiven if you thought it was a reception counter for an aesthetic clinic or consultancy firm because they do not display their cakes at the shop front. All their cakes are kept in the cooler at the back of the shop which is cleverly condoned off. They still maintain this design concept for all their stores. When shown a video of my cousins’ children running around in the Awfully Chocolate shop in Cluny Court, my cousin’s Filipino domestic helper thought that they were at someone’s house.

Back then when you think of chocolate cakes, you think of them and the Chocolate Etoile by Temptations. I, and I think many people as well, have outgrown them as they are many choices nowadays. I still enjoyed them but I will not deliberately go all the way to their stores to get them.

I am writing this because I was there several days ago; because I like to recommend their ice cream; AND because they scoop their ice cream from the display tub! No mention of NEA regulation! (read my earlier post on Andersen’s Ice Cream).

Their ice cream, Hei (黑) or Black, is pure dark chocolate ice cream and very bitter as if you are eating frozen dark chocolate. Highly recommended.

It costs $3.80 for a single scoop or $11.80 for a pint. If you want them delivered to you, you can order online but there is a minimum order and a delivery charge of $10.70.

No comments:

Post a Comment