Sunday, September 20, 2009

ICE3 Café

That’s Ice Cube Café with two outlets in Serangoon Garden and Upper Thomson. I have not been to either outlet. I think the main reason is because they are only opened for business from 4 pm onwards till 1 am. On Sundays and Public Holidays they are opened from 2 pm.

On an ordinary day, my usual eating habits do not call for desserts during those hours. And this is also the reason why I have yet to dine at 2am:dessertbar at Holland Village and The Cheesecake Café at Siglap because they are also opened for business from 4 pm onwards; though I have ordered cakes from them for take-out before.

So the next best thing was to order online for delivery. There are 21 flavours of ice cream on the online menu which is different from the in-store menu. I ordered Apple Cinnamon, Soursop Sorbet, Mango Tango and Mocha. They come in 473 ml pint and cost $12 each. Delivery charge of $18 applies if your order is below $40; free if it is above $40.

The ice cream were delivered in a small styrofoam box with plenty of dried ice in it and tied with a ribbon. That was a nice touch.


I had ice cream delivered from Ice Cream Chef and Awfully Chocolate and none of them packed the ice cream in a styrofoam box with dried ice. If I wanted a styrofoam box from Ice Cream Chef, I would have to pay $10 for it, though it was a huge size one which seemed only appropriate if you are ordering for hundreds of people.

I had actually wanted to comment on the ice cream sometime back but didn’t do so because I don’t seem to be able to come up with words to describe the taste as I neither like nor dislike them. The taste is just “unique “, for want of a better word.

The Apple Cinnamon tasted strange at first because I could not taste the apple. I think it is because they use red apples. I would think green apples would be a better choice. My cousin thinks that it was because they didn’t cook the apples. Another reason could be too much cinnamon was used though I didn’t feel it was overpowering.

The Soursop Sorbet tasted like the ice shavings that comes with the soursop jelly from those desserts shops in food court.

The Mango Tango tasted good on first try. It was smooth and you can taste the mango. However with each subsequent taste the mango flavour wasn’t that strong and I suspect no real fruit was used.

Mocha was the only flavour my mum and I liked mainly because it has always been a flavour we enjoy in chocolates or ice cream. But it wasn’t super duper good.

The in-store menu looked interesting and promising. I believe the in-store ice cream will taste better especially since they are mainly chocolate and strawberry which I like. Well, will one day try to actually go to the Café and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment