Saturday, October 31, 2009

Seasonal vs H1N1 Flu Shot

There have been so many conflicting reports on the merits of the H1N1 Flu Vaccine. The more I read about them, the more confused I am as some of “facts” are hard to verify. For instance, we have the article in Newseek in support of the Vaccine and another disturbing one by the controversial Dr Russell Blaylock who is against it.

I took my annual seasonal flu shot two weeks ago and had a chat with my family doctor on this. Whilst she gives herself and her family the seasonal flu shot she does not intend to do so with the H1N1 Vaccine. She told me the research and trial period for this Vaccine was too short. The production of the Vaccine was too rushed. She didn’t recommend that I take the H1N1 Vaccine. I believe she would advise against it but would still administer the shot if her patients insisted.

I will not be taking the H1N1 Vaccine and I guess I just have to be very careful and follow the general advices given, which are:

1. To wash one’s hands thoroughly especially after touching things like door knobs, railings or surfaces in public.

2. Not to touch your face, especially rub your nose, mouth or eye after touching public surfaces.

3. Boost one’s immunity by taking food or supplements rich in vitamins C, D and E.

4. Plenty of fluid.

5. Adequate sleep and rest.

6. Appropriate exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment