Saturday, November 14, 2009

English: Noun and Verb

To add to its complexity, an English word can have a different meaning when used as a noun or a verb. Here are some examples.

A farm can produce produce.
The dump was so full it had to refuse refuse.
The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
The present is a good time to present the present to the President.
The doves dove into the bushes.
I did not object to the object.
The insurance for the invalid was invalid.
The bandage was wound around the wound.
There was a row among the oarsmen on how to row.
They were too close to the door to close it.
The buck does funny things when the does are present.
A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
After a number of Novocaine injections, my jaw got number.
I shed a tear when I saw the tear in my clothes.
I had to subject the subject to a series of subjects.
How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
I spent last evening evening out a pile of dirt.
Just wanted to say hi, before I resume writting my resume.
The doctor was very patient with his patient.
We polish the Polish furniture.
He was reading some news about Reading.
He could lead if he would get the lead out.
You need to insert a paragraph here on this newspaper insert.
The manufacturer couldn't recall if there had been a recall.
The religious convert wanted to convert the world.
The political rebels wanted to rebel against the world.
The mogul wanted to record a new record for his latest artist.
If you perfect your intonation, your accent will be perfect.
Unfortunately, City Hall wouldn't permit them to get a permit.

The intonation of a word is therefore crucial to understanding whether it is meant to be a noun or a verb. The stress of a verb is usually on the last syllable, and that of a noun is on the first syllable.

No comments:

Post a Comment