Sunday, May 31, 2009

Godiva Chocolatier

Legend had it that the people of Coventry, in England, were suffering because of heavy taxation under the rule of Lord Leofric. His wife, known for her lustrous hair and beauty, protested and pleaded with him to remit the tax. He refused but would be willing to do so if she would ride naked on a horse through the streets and all the people stayed indoors with their windows shut. For the sake of the common people, she rode through the town naked and her husband kept his word and abolished the tax. She was Lady Godiva, a gift of God.

Eighty years ago in Brussels, Belgium, a master chocolatier, Joseph Draps founded a chocolate company and sought a name that “embodied the timeless qualities of passion, style, sensuality and modern boldness.” He chose Godiva.

Godiva was perhaps the earliest, and hence oldest, gourmet chocolatier that opened shop in Singapore. It was most likely in 1998 or 1999 and its first flagship shop was at Hilton Hotel Shopping Gallery.

Godiva, which sells their pralines and truffles at $25 and $30 per 100 gm respectively, is possibly the most expensive chocolates available in Singapore (for now). Teuscher (of Switzerland) sell their pralines & truffles at $28.80 per 100 gm whilst Prestat (of UK) sell their truffles at $29 per 100 gm. If Gucci sells their chocolates here they may become the most expensive going by the prices they charge in Ginza, Tokyo.

Godiva chocolates that are available here (and in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan) are made in Belgium. They are airflown here twice a week. Godiva chocolates that are available in US are made in US and they are much sweeter and less expensive.

Godiva used to sell their ice-cream here but have stopped long time ago. I was so disappointed then that I forgot to ask why.

Because of its high price (each truffle is about $5; you get six truffles per 100 gm) and there are other good choices, I nowadays usually eat Godiva chocolates once a year in August. That’s because I will receive a one-time-purchase birthday voucher from them which entitles me to 20% discount for up to $500-worth of chocolates. Other times, it is only 10% discount. I usually get about one kg by getting three to four each of every type of truffles which do not contain liquor.

I like all of them. Besides individual flavour, to savour the velvety smooth chocolate and let it slowly melts in the mouth is heavenly. Every night I will just eat two, before 8.00 pm. I call them my 仙丹(elixir of life pills) - they give me strength, vitality and fulfillment. If it is in the day, such as during the weekends or when I am on leave, I will eat three to four. Sometimes I find I have difficulty sleeping if I take more than two pieces after 8.00 pm. Anyway, it is now my usual practice not to snack after 8.00 pm if I intend to sleep at my usual hours or early.

Indeed, Godiva truffles is a gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment