Saturday, December 12, 2009

What It Should Have Been

I guess we will read what are on the front page, or at least the headlines, of our national newspaper, The Straits Times, every morning. I do that. After all, all the significant and important news are supposed to be on the front page.

But nowadays I will also turn to the next page immediately to see whether there are any corrections under the heading, What It Should Have Been. I don’t want to repeat anything that was wrongly reported. And it seems it is getting more frequent.

Just this week alone, from Monday to Saturday, there were three corrections. On Tuesday, we were told that it was jeans and not leggings that were selling at a special price; on Wednesday, whether a degree offered by a university was the first degree ever offered outside the country; and on Friday, we were told the name of the company that won an award was wrongly reported.

Well I supposed not knowing whether the above were errors won’t make any difference to my life or those around me. But what if the error does and will affect me. I guess I will have to look out for this column every morning just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment