Saturday, May 9, 2009

Esophagoscopy- Gastroscopy-Duodenoscopy with/without Biopsy

That’s the day surgical procedure, mentioned in my earlier post, I went for.

I have periodic chest and gastric pains. On three occasions the pain was so intense, spreading from my stomach up to my chest, that I thought they were coronary attacks or something. They lasted probably a minute or two and I had to swift my body and control my breathing to get some relief.

The gastrologist said that my symptoms could be due to too much acid in the stomach, GERD, stomach ulcers or my gallbladder stone, which at three six-month intervals, it went from “yes you have one tiny stone in your gallbladder” to “no you don’t have it” to “yes it’s there (again?)”. Anyway to determine whether it was the first two causes, an endoscopy was scheduled.

After all the “check-in” procedures, my weight, temperature and blood pressure were taken. The nurse gave me a friendship band (patient tag with my name, NRIC no, etc) to wear on my wrist. Took away my wallet, watch, mobile phone and even keys in a sealed envelope with my signature on it.

When it was my turn, the nurse took me to another section, asked to me take off my shoes and lie down on the bed. The small-sized nurse covered me with a blanket and wheeled me off to another section which actually was not too far away. I actually asked her to let me walk there so she need not push me there. Whilst I was being wheeled in I did lift my head and see where I was going. And you know when you watch those TV dramas when a patient is being wheeled into the operating room they like to shoot the view from the patient’s perspective and show you the lights on the ceiling moving along? Ah, I got to see that lived.

A nurse then gave me 1 to 2 ml of slightly clouded liquid to drink saying something about it would help reduced bubbles(?). Then I was wheeled to an inner section to where the scope machines were.

The nurse proceeded to prep me and I turned to stop her and said I wanted to be sedated. Don’t they ask the patients whether they want to be sedated and just assume they don’t? I am extremely nervous about such procedures. I have a very low tolerance of pain (lower than my spicy tolerance quotient). I am a coward. All these equate to “knock me out”.

She then continuously sprayed something into my throat, as if she was watering a bonsai plant, and told me not to swallow and hold it. There was a burning sensation in my throat – an extremely bad case of sore throat. Hardly about to speak, I reminded her that I have yet to be sedated.

The nurse poked me twice saying my veins were too fine. At first I thought “oh no double dosage of anaesthesia” but realised she was just placing the vault for injection later. She asked me to turn to my side and asked me to hold a table napkin ring in my mouth. Again I nervously told her I have yet to be sedated; I was actually pleading, not out loud, please don’t proceed any more, I am still conscious! Obediently I hold that ring in my mouth. A guy came and said what I wanted to hear, “I am going to give you the injection now.” After he was done, I was still awake. Panic! Why am I still awake!?

The next moment I woke up and found myself in another section of the ward. The procedure was completed. I have no recollection of what happened. The last memory was that ring in my mouth. It was like I was abducted by aliens, experimented on, and that period of time was erased from my memory.

I have wondered how can a person not know or feel anything and remember who it was, even if she is too weak to protest, when drugged and raped. Well I have no recollection of this long tube that was inserted into my mouth and I don’t know who did it and for how long that person did it or whether the person was enjoying it. I now believe.

Was given some biscuits and a cup of milo. The nurse couldn't discharge me as there was no one to accompany me home, a requirement if one is sedated. A doctor had to be found to authorise my discharge. I was advised not to sign any legal documents/contracts, such as transfer of title deeds to my mansions and the various islands that I owned, that day.

Duration: 10.15 am to 12.40 pm. Diagnosis: I have dyspepsia. Course of action: have to wait till my next appointment in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment