Thursday, May 7, 2009

Lunch at Old Hong Kong Kitchen, Square 2

Had lunch at Old Hong Kong Kitchen (Square 2 #02-76/91) with my mum on Tuesday, 5 May. As in my past four visits, I ordered the Pan Fried Carrot Cake with Bean Sprout in XO Sauce ($5). I think I can just eat this by itself though it’s a bit spicy for me (I have the lowest spicy tolerance quotient amongst people who know me). My mum liked it too.

Since this was supposed to be a light lunch as we were going to have dim sum hi-tea later in the afternoon, I ordered the Sliced Chicken with Mushroom Congee ($6.20). The Congee, as expected of Cantonese congee, was smooth and velvety with each rice grain broken. Some say one of the secrets is to add fu chuk (dried bean curd slice). The chicken was not sliced, as in being shredded, but in pieces, which complemented the smoothness of the Congee. Came with just three tiny but very crispy pieces of yu tiao (Chinese dough stick). A side dish, in a small bowl, of crisply fried fish skin was provided too. Enjoyed this Congee as it was not only a nice change from the usual century egg congee with pork, it was actually good. Had they given me more yu tiao, perhaps as another side dish, it would have been excellent.

My mum had the Fresh Shrimp Wonton Noodle ($6.80) which I thought was average.

Ended the lunch with a refreshing iced cool Lime Honey Jasmine ($3.80).

Sorry, no pictures - still not used to taking pictures of food prior to eating them! However, here is a picture of one of the restaurant's wall features.


No comments:

Post a Comment