Saturday, May 2, 2009

Time to be a netizen again...

I was asked to start a website or a blog. I had requests to join Facebook. But I didn't felt the need to do so. I thought perhaps I'll do one or all of the above perhaps when I turned 50! That seems like a good time to do so isn't it?

I had a personal website back in the late 90s (1997 to 1998) hosted on GeoCities. Even paid monthly subscription of US$6 to super-sized my website. Received positive comments, but eventually gave up as maintaining a site requires time and effort especially when you have self-imposed high standards.

Well I decided its time to be a netizen again. Joined FB and started this blog: a kind of scrapebook for me to scribble thoughts and things rather than focus on just one theme in the case of a website.

BTW I learned that GeoCities would cease operation soon after 15 years. The shift from personal website to social networking site is just part of the web evolution. Would FB also cease operation after 15 years in 2019 or even earlier when some other apps/services emerge? I suppose I will resist it initially but will probably embrace it if I want to continue to be a netizen.

No comments:

Post a Comment